Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Making use of my NHS benefits in the UK.

As a temporary worker in the United Kingdom, I am entitled to NHS (National Health Services), which means I don't have to pay for medical care. And I'm certainly making good use of it -- this is the second time in 4 and a half months that I make a trip to the Accident & Emergency unit!!

After walking home in the snow for around 20 minutes, nature called and I needed to use the loo, as it is called here. So I opened the bathroom door and, because I'm smart and cautious, I put my left hand on the hinges and shut the door with my right hand, thus getting my left index finger caught in the door. The pain was excrutiating and there was blood coming out of my fingernail, which started to become purple. I stood there for a while trying to breathe deeply but blood kept coming out and it started to make me a bit dizzy and my head started buzzing. Still, I had business to take care of in the bathroom, so after getting that out of the way I ran downstairs to take some paracetamol. The pain was still strong and I could not move my finger or my hand at all without wincing. I put a band aid around my bleeding fingernail and went out in the snow again to catch the bus to the local hospital located in the most ghetto and dodgy part of Hackney.

After checking in and seeing the triage nurse, the most fun part of going to the hospital came. Waiting for a doctor to call your name. One of the doctors made an announcement that because of adverse weather conditions -- in other words, a couple of inches of snow -- the A&E was short on staff and we needed to be patient. So I sat there listening in on other people's conversations. A woman who slipped in the ice and injured her wrist was talking about how it took her two hours to get to the hospital and she'd already been waiting for a doctor for an hour. Another woman brought her pregnant friend in because she fell on her back. So I guess a bleeding nail was not all that bad. After 2 hours, a doctor called my name and we went into one of the cubicles. By this time, my nail had stopped bleeding and I had a huge scab. The doc ordered x-rays to make sure I didn't fracture the bone. After getting the x-rays done the doc and one of his colleagues suggested that I could either take painkillers to treat the nail, or they could poke my nail with a needle to get the blood out from under my nail.

I asked if the needle would hurt and they said it wouldn't because nails don't have any nerves. However, because the hematoma was at the base of the needle (where the needle grows) poking a needle in it might not be all that necessary. In the end the doctor decided to do that. A nurse and a med student popped in to watch the action. I should not be scared of needles but I am. I was told it wouldn't hurt but it did. As the English would say, BASTARDS! I was told to keep still, so I did until I screamed for the whole hospital to hear. Another doctor came in and I begged them to not do the needle again.

In the end, they decided it would not work as the hematoma was too close to where the nail grows and the painkillers should do just fine. Now I have a hole in my fingernail. BASTARDS! I was given an anti-inflammatory and paracetamol and I got my fingernail wrapped in dressing. Next time I'm not putting my hand on the hinges before closing a door or walking in front of a motorcycle.

41 comments:

  1. You are completely chilling me right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful picture I read your whole article and I really wanna go there as soon as possible.very nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful picture i really like it a lot thanks for this beautiful and informative post keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing picture I really appreciate your work keep up the good work thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The post is full of great stuff..and I completely agree with your work thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its disgusting that you see women with loads of kids in the uk who dont work. They just keep having child after child and getting more benefits with each one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One Week Marketing plan includes a detailed 65 pages guide that goes through everything you need to do in detail..

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I was the owner of this airline I’d totally do that. This is why the airline industry is losing money. That and the free ice cream sundaes. That’s just fucking ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They simply could not meet their protein needs without including eggs and dairy, and eventually seafood (and even some beef though it might not have been imperative) This is true in the developing world too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It shows some doctors act too smart in front of their patients. If your condition only needed painkillers, then why did they have make you go through such an painful ordeal !

    ReplyDelete
  11. You went through a lot of paint unnecessarily, it seems the doctors take free service being offered to patients for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This seems fabulous and I like every one of the guest features that are available. I'm sorry if this really is the wrong place to ask this but I was not sure the right way to make contact with you - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They trust us to draft and prosecute their patent applications, and to manage the portfolio for these applications worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel sorry that you went through such an experience for such a small injury.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really intend on coming back to the site in the upcoming days. Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely useful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are also very affordable, and come in various shape, styles and sizes that would definitely match your kitchen needs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey this is the stuff i was searching from half an hour & finally i got it here..but can you provide some more relevant links..i mean sites related to this topic...:(

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanka a lot for sharing this awesome trip to the Accident & Emergency unit..i really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey my name is Angel, I m a student, i never write comments on any blog but this time your blog make me do that..
    I really enjoyed the whole Blog,& i have also note down some nice points from this Post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for this wonderful Post, i really Like the links you have used in your posts..Thanks and Keep it up..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. well you are Brilliant Dude, why Talented guys like you visit Suppliers & Buyers who can give you a Plate form to show your Talent in front of the world, try some Directory sites to Highlight your Blogs as well as your skills..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really CMS are the such applications which provides the contemporary innovation to new era of blog and new ally of website with more effective way.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really good to hear about the tips which you have suggested for the article writing it has been great to listen read this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome designs after all to display the picture of the fact and files.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, thanks i think this Blog is really useful for me, I have already bookmarked this..All the best for your upcoming Posts, I will keep on visiting this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The excess of deposits after putting aside required reserves is called excess reserves.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Email marketing has been the remarkable tool of integrated marketing which allow the user to deliver the message in a scatter way and at the same time to its target audience too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Email marketing is really useful and helpful tool. i am really impressed and appreciate. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really good to hear about the tips which you have suggested for the article writing it has been great to listen read this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting. Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  32. really i am searching a this kind of blog . this is fantastic blog. i like this kind of post. thanks for sharing. i am really happy to see your this post.

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow amazing content! i am really impressed and appreciate. i am very thankful , to provide latest info about this post.

    ReplyDelete
  34. your choice of words and your way of writing is really superb...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  35. cool stuff.i like the way you explored this Post.
    waiting for some more related posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Are you currently eager to get global popularity quickly? Social media site Twitter will be the ideal track for you. Next, you require to find fast twitter followers to become well-known to the world. buy 1000 twitter followers

    ReplyDelete
  37. Are you presently anxious about being ripped off when getting Android App Store reviews/ratings? This is genuine that a number of people are presenting benefits for users merely to rate apps. These categories of evaluations are tracked by Google. Provide us with the chance to assist you with reliable reviews & ratings. here to you can buy app reviews

    ReplyDelete
  38. t can work as an exceptional marketing tool that could function as a magnetic to entice the impressive chances in terms of followers, clients. buy usa likes

    ReplyDelete
  39. Life time Replacement is a thing that you barely find, any time you Buy facebook reviews. Exclusively a handful of good services give this. buy facebook 5 star ratings

    ReplyDelete

Comment!