Saturday, May 09, 2009

Contributed story: Behave yourself (By Teo Rios Ramirez)

The following story was written by one of my co-workers and I decided to share it and translate it into English since it was pretty inspiring. I would like to preface this story by stating that the police in this country are very corrupt and they can't always be trusted. The original version of this story in Spanish can be found here.

BEHAVE YOURSELF (By Teo Rios Ramirez)

I fell asleep in a bus lost in the midst of toxic traffic on Wilson Av. on a Tuesday night. Suddenly I woke up, when the vehicle stopped at one of the first blocks of Tacna Av. and I heard the voice of a traffic police officer, a strong but tired voice, possibly reaching the end of a rough day. The following is a recreation of what took place in those memorable ten minutes.

- Good evening. You have just picked up passengers in a prohibited zone. I need your documents please.
- But chief, it was just one lady...
- Look, a prohibited area is a prohibited area whether it's one lady or three. I need your documents.
- But chief, it's the first time...
- Even if it were the fifth time, it's still a violation.
- Come on, chief...

The officer takes his glasses off, rubs his eyes and puts his glasses back on. His tiredness is now noticable in his eyes. It's definetely not the first time he hears this and it won't be the last one for as long as he's a cop.

- Sir, my shift is almost over and the last thing I want is for you to make things complicated. I need your license.
- Come on, man, it's no big deal.
- It's a minor violation, let me see your license so I can now write a ticket and that way you can finish up your route.

The driver mumbles something unintelligible. I can't see the cop's face now, but I'm sure he's starting to frown.

- If you need to tell me something, say it out loud, the very same way I'm talking to you, so that everyone can hear you.
- But chief, it was no big deal...
- Stop repeating the same thing over and over and let me see your documents before I give you another ticket because of that broken turn signal.
- Come one, chief... I don't have...
- You don't have a license? Have your passengers get off the bus and have the fare collector give them their money back. I'm going to get on my motorcycle and you will follow me to the impound. Do you understand?

Then, out of the blue, what I never thought I would see in Peru happened. The cop's face became red and his weary look turned into an expression of indescribable fury. He pointed at the driver with a gloved right index finger, clenched his teeth and his voice was able to be heard all the way to the opposite side of the avenue.

- Put that money in your hand away! You don't have a license, you make me waste my time and on top of that you're trying to bribe me? I'm going to give you all three tickets I should have given you initially and if you don't follow me to the impound or if it takes you too long I will put an arrest warrant out for you!

I swear I wanted to shake the cop's hand, get a picture taken with him and tell him he was a heroe. I didn't care I was stranded on Tacna Av. at 8 at night and I didn't care I had to walk for a block to be able to catch a different bus. It's just that you don't see this type of things everyday.

'Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment!