Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A new chapter is about to begin!

After months of waiting, I finally got my visa to the UK! I leave Peru on August 3rd (in less than a week, that is) and I'll live in East London, the borough of Hackney for a whole year. I will do volunteer work for a charity that works with adults who have learning disabilities and would like to be able to live independently. I'll live with a guy who has cerebral palsy and epilepsy and my job will be to provide him help when cooking, shopping, cleaning, calling the ambulance if he gets a seizure and most importantly, I'll be a friend to him. He's due to move out and live on his own soon, which means someone else will live with me when he leaves.

I'm stoked about this opportunity! I have always wanted to live abroad for a while and do something to help others. I never thought I'd do charity work in London, though. It isn't everyday that you hear people from the 3rd world go to the 1st world to do charity/volunteer work. Besides that, I need a break from Peru for a while. I have the feeling I need to find myself and I find it hard to do it in my own country.

Getting a visa was much easier this time around. When I applied to go to Scotland, I was denied because I was missing one of the new requirements the Embassy had set not too long ago. I had all I needed this time and it only took one week to get the visa as opposed to 4 weeks as the Embassy had said it'd take. My family took the news very well (even Mom, which is hard to believe) and everything else has worked out just fine.

Please pray for safety as I live in a foreign country for a year and pray for the people I'll be interacting with. I'll try to blog as much as I cam when in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment!